June 9, 2008 | Jimmy Rogers
Monday, June 9th, 2008, Apple presented WWDC, the World Wide Developers Conference in San Francisco, CA. It is at this event that Steve Jobs announced the “Second Coming of the iPhone.” On this page, we have aggregated everything we know about the event. Check back often and, as always, stay tuned to our feed for the latest Second Generation iPhone updates.
iPhone Official Release Information
- First Launch: July 22nd
- 8GB Black-backed iPhone 2: $199
- 16GB White-backed iPhone 2: $299
- 3G Support
- New body design (slight improvements over the old one)
- GPS Support
- 3rd Party Apps through App Store (some free, some pay)
- App Download through Air (for small Apps) or WiFi/iTunes Sync
- Flush Headphone Jack
Countries to Receive the iPhone (Release Date):
- 22 countries get the iPhone July 22nd
- All other countries get it in the months after that
Summary of the New Announcements:
On July 22nd, Apple will be launching the new 3G enabled iPhone in 22 countries. These are the countries that make up the more traditional market for Western cell phones. As the months roll on, the iPhone will expand to the remaining large, global markets. The new features include 3G connectivity, a GPS chip (which can be integrated into 3rd party Apps like other hardware on the phone), strong enterprise features, and a connection to the new App Store, which will operate much like Apple’s other iTunes Store departments. These Apps will be created by software designers all over the world and many of them will be free. Among these Apps will be games specifically designed for the iPhone, making use of the multi-touch and accellerometer technology.
The iPhone 3G, which seems to be the official name on many of their press releases, has a redesigned body with all-black plastic on the back (white on the 16GB version), a similar form-factor to the old iPhone, and a headphone jack that is flush with the body, and thus works with any standard plug. The screen is the same size as before, but the overall phone is thinner. The adapter is as small as modern electronics will allow, having only room for the plugs on either end. There will not be a 3G dock included, but it is purchasable for $29 separately – it is designed for speakerphone use.
This new iPhone represents a very important evolutionary step for Apple’s mobile phone business. With the iPhone’s move into enterprise markets and the opening of its archetecture to developers, it can now realistically compete with other popular (and even dominant) smartphones.
Second Generation iPhone Keynote Coverage
- iPhone 3G: What’s missing?
- iPhone Service Plan Pricing Comes to Light + Special Upgrade
- The International iPhone 3G roll-out
- iPhone Firmware Gets an Update (2.0)
- New iPhone 3G Ad
- The Long-Awaited Application Store (App Store)
- How-To: Get Apple’s new MobileMe service for $69
- Apps Carried the Day at WWDC
- Apple officially announces the iPhone 3G
- New iPhone (2.0) Features (Full Recap of the Keynote)
- Will AT&T’s 3G Network Crack Under the Weight of the iPhone?
- iRandomStuff: A Primer for the WWDC
- The AppStore is coming: Will you still be Jailbreaking?
- Why I Can’t Get Excited About the 3G iPhone
Liveblogs at WWDC:
Pictures from WWDC:
[Via iPhone Buzz.com]
- WWDC Official Site
- WWDC Keynote Bingo Card (created by Ars Technica)
- What is this? (explanation of the rules from 2006)
- Link to the PDF of the 2008 WWDC Bingo Card
- Apple Keynote Podcast (Official Video Releases, Link Opens iTunes)
Latest iPhone Second Generation Rumors
- 3G iPhone coming to Vodacom South Africa on July 20?
- Apple Stores: More Mysterious Boxes Arrive
- iPhone 2.0 Firmware Leaked – 3G and GPS For Real!
- Vodaphone and Telecom Italia to Both Offer Italian iPhone
- SoftBank Will Be iPhone Carrier in Japan
- GPS All But Confirmed for 3G iPhone [Ok, this one is on the edge]
- Hong Kong, Macau to get the iPhone via Hutchinson’s 3
- Two More Markets Confirmed for the iPhone
- $199 3G iPhone, claims USA Today
- Microsoft Looking to Upset WWDC with Blu-Ray Announcement?
- Is Apple planning to allow carrier subsidies?
- The latest in faked 3G iPhone images
- Leaked Apple Promotional Materials for iPhone 2 [Fake]
- Yet another “leaked” 3G iPhone image appears
- KTF looking to bring the iPhone to Korea
- O2 to Offer Free 3G Upgrade?
- iPhone Rumor Roundup: 5 Days to Go
- iPhone: 3rd Party Applications Next Monday?
- Kevin Rose claims new $200 iPhone coming this week
- 3G iPhone rumored to be in 3 colors
[WWDC Banner for the iPhone - Second Generation from Apple's Developer Website]